Sunday 19 February 2012

ARRL DX CW contest – Day 1


Heck it is so frustrating to hear the rare Caribbean stations PJ2, PJ4, PZ5, V25 and V44 to name a few calling CQ during the contest and they are not in the least interested (understandably so) in working stations other than W and VE.

The only reason for DX to take part in this event is chasing outstanding states towards the WAS award.

I cannot quite fathom how this contest can have much appeal to anyone other than a W/VE station?

IMHO if this contest was structured more like the CQ-WW contest where everyone works everyone else, possibly with a bias in points for working W/VE, it would have much bigger support?

I am rather pleased to have worked 2 all time new states: Georgia and Oklahoma. My WAS total now stands at 43. I still need AL, DE, MO, ND and WV. Maybe I get lucky later today.

One would think that the rarer states would be regarded as popular contest venues during this contest. It seems all the radio adventurers head south towards the Caribbean, why not operate from North Dakota and from the other rarer states. Maybe I am missing the point…….

Maybe it’s just me and my lack at CW proficiency, but I find the odd station operating at around 23 WPM is like music to my ears, especially after trying to decode the speed demons working at speeds in excess of 35 WPM. I might be wrong, but cannot help but wonder if the QSO rate is not higher at the more moderate speeds. I did notice a few of the big gun contest stations working at reasonable speeds.

Good luck.

73, Pierre ZS6A

No comments:

Post a Comment